Monday, March 1, 2010

Quick Chicken a la King

Photobucket

This recipe comes from that cookbook I love called "Remedies for the I Don't Cook Syndrome" by Janet Peterson.  It's fast and easy and the best part is it tastes DELICIOUS!  It's definitely a food storage worthy meal too.   You can't see the chicken too easily in this photo because I've used my pre-cooked shredded chicken breasts (an idea I got from my bestest friend, Kira), but you can't miss the flavor. It just saves oodles of prep time. 

Another time saver I use is having both my onions and bell peppers already pre-diced and in baggies in the freezer.  I just pull out what I need for my recipe, toss into the pan and cook 'em up.  You'd never know the difference.  Toss...Toss...toss..and poof!  You're done in 15 min or less.

Maybe you're also wondering about what those little darker brown balls are in my rice?  Cooked Wheat Berries!  I ALWAYS have some ready-cooked on hand in the freezer and toss them into just about everything.  Seriously.  I LOVE adding them to my rice meals, too.  1/2 Rice 1/2 Wheat Berries.  Not only delicious but a real money saver since I just pull out my food storage! 

QUICK CHICKEN A LA KING

1/4 c. chopped onion
2 Tbsp. butter
2 Tbsp. flour
1 (10 3/4-oz) can cream of mushroom soup
1 c. Milk
1 1/2 c. cooked diced chicken or turkey
1 ( 4 oz.) can sliced mushrooms or 1/2 c. sliced fresh mushrooms
2 Tbsp. chopped pimiento (I HATE these and never add, but you can)
1/3 c. chopped green pepper
1/2 c. sour cream
Salt & Pepper to taste

In a large skillet, saute onion in butter until limp but not brown.  Add flour.  In a small bowl, blend soup and milk.  Add to onion mixture.  Cook and stir until thickened.  Add chicken or turkey, mushrooms, pimiento, and green pepper.  Heat but do not boil.  Add sour cream.  Serve over rice, biscuits or toast.

Serves 6.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you like the recipe! It's been a while since I've made, I think it's about time I add it to the menu

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was playing on my cake blog and just barely noticed you comment (probably not the best thing to admit, right?), so I apologize!! I haven't been ignoring you are anything like that. Just clueless.
    I would love to take some classes to learn better tricks. All of what I do is from watching all the awesome cake shows on the "Food Network", and trial and error (you should have seen my first experiment with the fondant. However, I am sure I burned all the pictures. --Horrible!!) I will gladly share any of my tricks, they probably wouldn't pass on any cake "Challenge", but they work for me!
    I had no idea that you had this blog. I'm excited to go through it more and follow it. I am great full for all your comments. You are a very sweet person!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin