Thursday, February 25, 2010

Rustic Italian Tortellini Soup

I think I'm in the mood for soups lately.  They all look and taste so delicious!  I file recipes away once I like them and forget to pull them back out until I've stuck myself in a rut like I was in last week.  Well, this one is a BIG winner!  A touch spicy, full of robust flavor and definitely qualifies for comfort food.  The best part is how fast and EASY it is to make and how incredible the flavor is in comparison.  You're going to love it!

Rustic Italian Tortellini Soup
3 Italian Turkey Sausage Links (4 oz. each), casings removed (I used the roasted red pepper chicken sausage links from Costco-1lb.)
1 medium onion, chopped
6 garlic cloves, minced
2 -14 1/2 oz cans chicken broth
1 3/4 c. water
1 can great northern beans, drained
1 -14 1/2 oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 package (9oz.) refrigerated cheese tortellini
1 -6oz. package fresh baby spinach, coarsely chopped
2 1/4 tsp. minced fresh basil or 3/4 tsp dried.
1/4 tsp. pepper
Dash Crushed red pepper flakes
Shredded parmesan cheese, optional

Crumble (or thinly slice) sausage into a Dutch oven; add onion. Cook and stir over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Add the broth, water and tomatoes and bean. Bring to a boil.

Stir in tortellini; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 5-8 minutes or until tortellini are tender, stirring occasionally. Add spinach, basil, pepper and pepper flakes; cook 2-3 min longer or until spinach is wilted. Serve with cheese if desired.

Serves 7.

3 comments:

  1. This looks really good! I too have tons of recipes filed away and I do go through them every week, but there are so many of them that I just never get to many of them. Then when I make one and love it I wonder why I didn't make it sooner. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did I miss this post??? It looks so so GOOD!!! I love soup, especially with tortellini! I will need to make this for sure!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin