Friday, January 28, 2011

Crockpot Lasagna {Best Ever}

This is Amy aka Little Gourmified. I am Lisa's little sister and I felt it only fitting to call me Little Gourmified (or even better Lil' G, if you prefer). As I am only a little of what my sister is. She is an amazing (and I mean AMAZING) cook. I on the other hand am only a little bit of a cook. I like to keep my meals simple and quick. So on the occasion I guest post you can guarentee they will be simple, but yummy.
For my first post a new favorite at our house....Crockpot Lasagna. This Lasagna is super easy, very tasty and somewhat healthy. I usually steer clear of Lasagna due to the difficulty level and time to make the meal. The only thing that lead me to make it was a family gathering that I needed to bring a Lasagna to. I opted to find a easy alternative that could be transported as well as cook while I was at church. I found this delicious recipe here for Vegetarian Crock pot Lasagna. To me this is the {Best Ever} Crock Pot Lasagna.
 No precooked lasagna needed, just the cheapest regular old lasagna noodles.
 The only down side to the recipe is the dishes. Yes, I am not only a simple cooker, but I don't like having a super messy kitchen afterward. You have to use 2-3 bowls and a Crock pot. I recommend the Crock pot liners to save time on cleaning. The upside is with Crock pot time you have some time to put this meal together, clean the kitchen and be ready to enjoy dinner in a clean space.
 The recipe calls for crushed tomatoes. I only had diced on hand so I added a can of tomato sauce. (Actually, I have a bunch of tomato paste so I used the substitution method. I mixed tomato paste with water to make tomato sauce. I think the paste is sweeter, but with all the ingredients it worked well.)
 Not cooked, yet super tasty looking already!
Doesn't that look DELICIOUS! I hope you all enjoy it too!
Crock-Pot Lasagna Recipe

Recipe created by Jessica Seinfeld
Oprah.com   |   October 26, 2010
Crock-Pot Lasagna
While slow cookers are often thought of as 1970s throwbacks and only good for making heavy stews, Jessica Seinfeld uses hers to make everything from whole small chickens to oatmeal and even this worry-free lasagna.

Servings: Serves 6
Ingredients
Crock-Pot Lasagna Recipe
  • 3 cans (14.4 ounces) crushed tomatoes
  • 3 cloves garlic , finely chopped
  • 2 Tbsp. dried oregano
  • 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
  • 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
  • 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 containers (15 ounces each) fresh ricotta
  • 2 cups (8 ounces) grated mozzarella
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
  • 12 lasagna noodles (about three-quarters of a 1-pound box)
  • 5 ounces (about 6 cups) baby spinach
Directions
In a medium bowl, combine the tomatoes, garlic, oregano, salt, red pepper and black pepper. In a separate bowl, mix the ricotta, 1 cup of the mozzarella and Parmesan.

In the bottom of a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker, spread a thin layer of the sauce. Top with 3 of the noodles (breaking to fit as necessary). Spread about 1 cup of the sauce over the noodles and layer with 2 cups of the spinach and 1 1/2 cups of the cheese mixture. Repeat twice more with the noodles, sauce, spinach and cheese mixture. Top with the remaining 3 noodles, sauce and 1 cup mozzarella.

Cook on low, covered, until the noodles are tender—especially in the center of the lasagna—about 3 to 3 1/2 hours.

4 comments:

  1. I think I will try this for Sunday dinner this week. It looks super easy and yummy too! Thanks for posting! We love lasagna at our house!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never made crockpot lasagna...I am always nervous about what Brooks will think (he is so picky about italian)...this looks great though!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks super yummy and not having to cook the noodles before hand is awesome! I think I am going to try this recipe this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to try this out when I saw it. It turned out great. Thanks for sharing! I shared this on my blog! adeliciousdiscovery.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin