Tuesday, February 1, 2011

TWD::Grain Muffins, well sort-of

 This week for our Tuesdays with Dorie recipe selection, Christine of Happy Tummy chose Great Grains Muffins.  As you can see, I didn't quite follow that recipe.  BUT this IS a grain recipe of sorts.  Though Dorie's recipe for the Great Grains Muffins looks INCREDIBLE, I've had this bran muffin recipe sitting in my to-do folder for a LONG time.  I'm definitely going to be making Dorie's recipe in the near future, but for now, I'm enjoying this bran muffin...A LOT!  They are really quite good.  They are not terribly sweet just very filling and good. 


It's actually a 6-Week Whole Wheat Bran Muffin.  Why 6 weeks, you ask?  Well, once all combined, the batter for this recipe can sit in your fridge, covered for up to SIX weeks!  HOLY COW!  I know!  Is that not the craziest!?  Since the recipe makes a healthy 60 muffins, you might just want to bake them fresh each time.   
Or, You could be like me and spend all morning in the kitchen baking muffins, and everything else under the sun, just so you can get the baking part over with.  Besides, they freeze really well and taste absolutely INCREDIBLE reheated and slathered with butter.  Then again, doesn't EVERYTHING taste amazing with butter!?  Yeah.  Butter. It's one of my favorite toppings.  If you don't want to add butter, don't fret.  Your favorite jelly spread or plain is just as incredible!  My kids even love them and will snack on them instead of junk!!!
{low-sugar bran muffins}
   recipe from Kira at Kira Cooks


2 cups water
4 cups whole bran cereal (all-bran)


Boil the water, then combine with the whole bran cereal in a large bowl.  Sit for 5 min to allow the bran to soak up the water and soften.



In the meantime, Combine:
1 cup oil
1 cup sugar


add:
4 eggs, beaten
1 quart low fat buttermilk

then add:
2 cups 40% bran flakes (I buy the cheap wal-mart bran flakes)
the soaking whole bran cereal1 Tbsp salt
5 tsp baking soda
3 cups flour
2 cups whole wheat flour (if you want to do all whole wheat only do about 4 3/4 total since wheat is "thirstier")
Raisins (optional, but add just before baking)



Stir together until just combined.  Bake 400 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes (mine always take the 20).
This recipe makes 60.

Also, don't forget to check out the TWD Blogroll to see how all the other bakers fared with their muffins this week!

3 comments:

  1. Oh my. I love bran muffins! And this recipe sounds awesome, especially since you can leave the batter for a while. Sorry you couldn't get to the Great Grains Muffins, but these sound just as amazing. Love your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A couple things....I think they TASTE better as they "age" in the fridge (although mine never made it to 6 weeks). Also, these have so much fiber and whole grains they were really great controlling my blood sugar with gestational diabetes. LOVE them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just recently made some bran muffins, they were good, but I have to say, I really need to try these--they look great. Love the idea of the batter sitting in the fridge for so long.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin