Friday, February 4, 2011

Lemon Pasta

Almost a year ago, wow how time flies!, I was in a major cooking rut.  I didn't feel creative and didn't want to cook anything.  I posted a shout out to all you fellow blogger friends and received some incredible ideas.  Some have become staples in our dinner menu like the Pasta Caesar salad.  My kids request this one on a regular basis!  Well, the latest one we tried and fell in love with comes from Lindsay at Our Family Treat.
The marinade for the chicken has me a bit squeamish because it has cajun seasoning in it.  I've never been a big fan of it so I kept staring at this printed recipe telling myself that everything looked good, except the cajun seasoning part.  For some reason whenever I think of cajun seasoning I think of okra....and my gag reflexes try to take over.  Well, I sucked it up, found a seasoning mix recipe to make with what I had on hand at home already.  I wasn't about to go buy a whole bottle of it if I didn't like it.  Nope.  Wasn't going to do it.  BUT I have to tell you.  I REALLY REALLY REALLY liked the seasoning on the chicken!  Really!  I would even use the entire marinade recipe on just plain 'ol grilled chicken to serve aside a salad or grilled veggies, or something.  It would even be tasty on fish!


When you add the deliciously marinated and grilled chicken to a lightly lemony flavored pasta with a touch of parsley and green onion, well.  Let me be the first to tell you.  You can't lose with this one.  Delish!!!


{lemon pasta}
  from Our Family Treat
1 box of any type of pasta
½ cup olive oil
lemon zest from one lemon
Juice from one lemon
½ cup green onion-chopped
¼ cop fresh parsley-chopped
Salt and freshly ground pepper
about 3/4 cup of Parmesan cheese
     {marinade} 
      ½ c. olive oil
     1 clove garlic, minced
     2 T. Cajun seasoning (*recipe below)
     2 T. lemon juice
     2 T. minced parsley
     1 T. brown sugar
     1 T. soy sauce
     2 chicken breasts
-Marinate chicken in zip lock baggie for at least 3 hours. I always like to just pull my chicken out in the morning, mix it with the marinade and let it sit all day.
-While cooking your favorite type of pasta, grill up the chicken, and then chop it up.
-Drain pasta, add olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, parsley, green onion, salt and pepper, chicken and parmesean. Mix and serve!


{cajun seasoning mix}
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 1/2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 1/4 teaspoons dried oregano
1 1/4 teaspoons dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)

Stir together all ingredients until evenly blended. Store in an airtight container.

3 comments:

  1. I am glad you liked it! I haven't made that in FOREVER. I kinda forgot about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds purty wonderful to me!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the shout out, even though I've been the biggest slacker when it comes to blogging. I'm glad you are still making the salad and still loving it.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin