Sunday, July 17, 2011

Dutch Oven Chicken Cordon Bleu

We recently went camping with my family, my Sister and her hubby who is BIG time into dutch oven cooking.  Well, I haven't even broken my dutch oven out of the box from when we got it as a present about 3+ years ago.  Sad, I know.  BUT I did find a recipe on Our Family Treat that sounded too good to be true that we could make in the dutch oven and just had to try it!   Thankfully, my Brother-in-law was willing to do all the hard coal-preparing labor so we could make this recipe!  
 Once the chicken is pounded out and ham and cheese are rolled up together, put into dutch oven to brown each side.  You may want to use some canola oil here to prevent sticking.  (The chicken breasts I bought were so big I butterfly sliced them almost completely in half, then pounded them from there.  Easy peasy!)
 Combine the Cream of Chicken Soup and milk in a separate bowl and pour over your browned chicken rolls.  I tripled the chicken rolls and only doubled the sauce and it was perfect!

This is my Dutch oven cooking-LOVING brother-in-law, Doug.  We also made long grain and wild rice as a side.  I had frozen mixed veggies ready to bring and totally forgot them in the freezer at home.  Oops!
 Put your coals on top and bottom...careful to not overfill...we did and had some spillage.  Oops!
 Freshly done.  YUM!
Now doesn't that look mouthwatering!?  We really felt like we truly GOURMIFIED camping this year!  :)

6 comments:

  1. Dang. That looks tasty. Except for the first pic. I'm surprised the raw chicken didn't make you want to barf. I just about did. HAHA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! That looks so good! I love dutch oven cooking. I just hate the cleanup :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad you liked the recipe! It was good seeing you the other day! You look great! I hope you are feeling good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! What kind of rice did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know, we went boxed on the rice. I think I got the cheap walmart brand of long grain & wild rice. Normally I would make it from scratch at home using my delicious wild rice and brown rice, but because we were camping, boxed was faster and easier...so it won.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like my kind of 'camp food'! Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin