Saturday, January 8, 2011

Easy Thai Chicken Curry

Okay, so remember that post I had back a few months ago all about canned coconut milk vs. powdered coconut milk?  Well, I figured it out.  And am so incredibly happy I did.  I can now eat one of my favorite meals without feeling like I'm eating fire.  Sadly, I've discovered that coconut milk powder, though fantastically shelf-stable for food storage, is NOT universal.  It's good for use in baking, but not with cooking.  Especially when you are using a hot/spicy ingredient like curry paste.  I swear, the powder only made the bite of the heat that much worse.  No lie!  So, with that said, if you're going to make this most incredible Thai flavored recipe full of coconut flavor, bamboo shoots, carrots, bell peppers, curry and chicken, you're definitely going to want to use CANNED coconut milk.  Learn from my mistakes. You'll be happy you did!  Oh...and you're going to LOVE it that you can have this amazing restaurant caliber Thai meal at home for a fraction of the price, too!
Photo courtesy of Pimp My Dinner
{easy thai chicken curry}
   from pimpmydinner.blogspot.com

4 chicken breasts, thinly sliced
1 large onion, thinly sliced
2 carrots, diagonally sliced (to look pretty)
2 bell peppers, julienne sliced
1-8 oz. can sliced bamboo shoots
1-4 oz. can thai curry paste (green or panang) - I use MAESRI brand
2-14 oz. cans coconut milk
basil

Cook chicken in a large pan with olive oil. Add onions, carrots and bell peppers. Let cook for a couple of minutes. Add bamboo shoots. Add curry paste and stir to coat all ingredients. Add coconut milk and basil and let simmer for about 15 minutes, until carrots are soft.

Serve over rice.

3 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin