Monday, December 30, 2013

Sugar Cookies with Buttercream Frosting

**UPDATED 12/30/2013**
Every year in my family we have a tradition.  A sugar cookie tradition.  We will get together one Sunday in December and make a TON of cookies...frosted and decorated, too.  This year, I perfected my recipe. Seriously.  It turned out UH-MAZing!  I've always felt um, snobbish towards sugar cookies....and this is why!

{sugar cookies}
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
4 c. flour
 1 c. unsalted butter, room temperature
2 c. sugar
1 tsp. almond extract (you can sub. vanilla here if you have to)
2 eggs

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

Sift together first three dry ingredients.  Set aside.  Combine the butter and sugar and beat until fluffy.  Add Almond extract. Combine.  Beat in one egg at a time until just combined.  Add dry ingredients.  Mixture will be slightly crumbly.  Form into one large disc or two smaller discs.  Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 20 min.

Roll out dough, cut out.  Bake 8-10 min. Cookies will be done when it no longer has a shinny look to it.

*I prefer mine more chewy so I bake for about 8 min.  If you prefer yours more crunchy, bake for 10 min or more...but NOT until golden. Just until they don't have a glossy shine anymore and don't slide when you hold your cookie sheet at an angle.

{buttercream frosting}
1 1/2c. salted butter, at room temperature
5-6 c. powdered sugar
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. almond extract
1/4 c. whipping cream

Whip butter until light and airy.  Combine remaining ingredients in a large mixer and whip until thoroughly combined.  Spoon frosting amounts into bowls for food coloring separation.  I use the Wilton food coloring in the jars.  You can find them at most craft stores in the baking/cakes isle.  They will give you a deeper more true color than the grocery store tubes.
 Be sure to have ample sprinkles and decorations to top your cookies with.  As you can see, in my family there is no such thing as too many red hots.  They're the FAVORITE!!!!

6 comments:

  1. Will definitely have to try this out, because I think I happen to have access to the best sugar cookie recipe in the world... but this looks like it may be a great contender. Love the red hots. They're my favorite on sugar cookies, too. (coconut is a great runner up)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I am making sugar cookies today! I love that you use whipping cream in your frosting. I will have to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. O.K. so I don't like sugar cookies unless they are soft like Lofthouse. I have never tried to make them. Are these like those?

    ReplyDelete
  4. friend, where are you? Everything ok?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everything is very open and very clear explanation of issues. was truly information. Your website is very useful. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing wonderful information.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin