Sunday, March 14, 2010

The story of "Sweet & Sour Chicken", A Freezer Meal

Photobucket
Long ago in a far away land, I was introduced to the world of Freezer Meals.  Yes, it didn't take much to pull me in, but it has been a wonderfully rewarding journey ever since.  Right now, I'm on a quest to find and create more and more freezer-worthy meals that my family not just likes, but LOVES.  This is a new love.

Sweet and Sour Chicken from the book, "Dinner Is Ready" by Deanna Buxton.  The main recipe can serve 6-8, I doubled it.  It gave my family of four enough for dinner that night, two left over containers PLUS Two gallon freezer bags filled with dinner for two more nights.  LOVE IT!  Now, I know this looks like a rainbow just landed on our plate...just in time for St. Patrick's Day, but I promise you, if you follow the recipe, it won't look nearly this colorful...unless you WANT it to.  I bought a big bag of sweet peppers at Costco and wanted to use them up...as well as a couple of red onions.  It sure does look pur-ty, though.

Sweet & Sour Chicken
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
1T. Oil
1 carrot, sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 c. sugar
1/4 c. cornstarch
1 1/3 c. water
3 T. Oil
2/3 c. vinegar
1/4 c. soy sauce
1 onion, chunked
1/2 red bell pepper, chunked
1/2 green bell pepper, chunked
1 small can pineapple chunks

Cut Chicken in 1 inch cubes.  Saute in oil with carrot and garlic until no longer pink.  Remove from heat and allow to cool.  Combine sugar and cornstarch in saucepan.  Stir in water.  Add oil, vinegar and soy sauce.  Cook and stir until thick and clear.  Remove from heat.  Stir together chicken, sauce, vegetables and pineapple.  Allow to cool.  Place in gallon freezer bag.  Label and freeze.

To Serve: Thaw.  Heat until hot and bubbly.  Serve over hot rice (mixed with cooked wheat berries if you dare!). 

TIP - Rice freezes really well.  Make a big batch and separate it out into meal-sized portions so you can just grab a bag in the morning to thaw in the fridge and then reheat in the microwave...poof!  Easy!

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. OKAY, I am back and ready to salivate. I love freezer meals cuz I got some of them when I had my last baby and they. are. awesome. This one looks really yummy, too. What does TWD mean? Oh, and the tortellini soup looks hearty and deeeeelish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that looks delicious!!! I was telling a friend about your great blog and she said she loves it too! You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin