Tuesday, October 27, 2009

TWD::Cherry-Fudge Brownie Bites

Photobucket

Cherries and Chocolate. In my experience this is a lethal combination, except for this week while cooking April's recipe of choice for our Tuesdays With Dorie baking group.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed this recipe, but it just didn't have that "umph" I was hoping for. All the components tasted great on their own. I LOVED the smell of the Cherries cooking on the stove. I nixed the kirsch and used water with more vanilla. I absolutely {HEART} the cream cheese mousse topping (I wasn't about to buy the mascarpone it called for because, WOAH expensive)! THAT I can do again and on so many other treats.

Now after having baked a few chocolate recipes by Ms. Dorie Green span, I've decided she's a choco-holic. I am a chocolate lover, but in no ways am I a choco-holic. All the recipes I've made so far call for bittersweet chocolate. While I could convince myself that what I'm making with the bittersweet chocolate is probably healthier because of the addition of this cacao but, in reality, I just can't convince my tastebuds that that flavor is good. So, as of today, I've decided that anytime Dorie calls for Bittersweet chocolate, I'm going to either sub with semi-sweet or do 1/2 bittersweet and 1/2 milk chocolate, like I did with these little brownie bites. I'm really glad I did, too because even with all the chocolate substitutions, it was still super chocolatey.

Photobucket

Mascarpone Cheese Substitution

1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
¼ cup heavy whipping cream
2 ½ tablespoons sour cream

Combine well and use in recipes calling for Mascarpone cheese.
*NOTE: Do not substitute low fat cream cheese or sour cream!

I don't think I'll ever make this full recipe again, but I'm very glad I tried it! The cream cheese mousse will definitely be something to use in another great cake recipe.

If you're interested in trying this recipe out for yourself you can visit our host for this week, April at her blog: Short + Rose. Don't forget to visit other TWDers by checking out the TWD Blogroll.

1 comment:

  1. I've learned with Dorie and TWD that I don't like too much bittersweet chocolate (either), so I usually go with a semi sweet. Fun little bites. Perfect! Thanks for the tip about mascarpone substitute!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin