Sunday, November 20, 2011

Quick Sausage, Bean and Spinach Stew

stock photo courtesy of Women's Day Magazine


I don't often cook on Sundays, opting instead for sammies (sandwiches) or leftovers.  Today was another story.  Not only did I get TONS of extra produce in my Bountiful Baskets selection this week, I also got the hostess pack which in itself seemed like a full second basket!  So, this family of five that usually goes thru a basket a week, now has a TON more!  I'm excited for the challenge to make even more fresh family friendly meals ... all before anything goes bad!  Bring it on!  

I found this recipe when I was trying to kill time at one of my many doctor visits.  I liked a lot of the recipes in there, so took a snapshot of the magazine front and just recently remembered to pick it up at my local library.  Boy am I glad I remembered. 

Not only was this recipe FAST and EASY, it's delicious, too!   Perfect!  I worried that my kids wouldn't like the spinach in the stew, but my drama-filled 7 year-old happily ate the spinach singing "I'm Popeye the Sailor Girl! Toot Toot!".  No lie! My 4 year-old gobbled up the sausage.  All in all, it was a smashing hit!  Everyone gave two thumbs up. Mom and Dad had seconds and there were ZERO leftovers! Success!!!

You can definitely change this up easily adding a twist of variety using different sausage varieties as I did, or by using a different shaped pasta.  Use what you have on hand...that's the beauty of this recipe!  It's incredibly VERSATILE! 

{sausage, bean and spinach stew}

1 Tbsp olive oil
12 oz ground sausage
4-6 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 32-oz container low-sodium chicken broth (A MUST! otherwise too salty with the sausage)

Water-amount depends on how soupy you want it
4 oz ditalini pasta or other soup pasta (about 1 cup)
1 15.5-oz can cannellini or other white beans, rinsed
Black pepper
1 10-oz bag spinach, thick stems removed (I used one bunch and would have preferred two)
1 oz Parmesan, grated (about 1/4 cup)


  1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the sausage and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, 4 to 5 minutes. Drain and rinse fat off and return to pan.
  2. Add the garlic to the pan and cook, stirring, for 1 minute (do not let it brown). Add the 1/2 c. broth and simmer, scraping up any brown bits, for 1 minute.
  3. Add the 32oz. broth and pasta and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the pasta is just tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
  4. Add the beans and 1/4 tsp pepper and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and add extra water and the spinach, stirring gently until it begins to wilt. Serve with the Parmesan.

1 comment:

  1. What are sammies? I still prefer crock pot or leftovers so I can just chill on Sunday, but maybe I should make it Doug's day to cook since I end up making dinners most days of the week.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin