Saturday, November 6, 2010

Garden Vegetable Soup

This is one of my all-time favorite soups.  Not because it's delicious, because it totally IS, but because it's all vegetables!  I can snack on this soup and feel completely guilt-free while filling my tummy!  I {HEART} it!  For those of you that are Weight Watchers groupies, this soup will definitely look familiar.  Though, I've switched up the ingredients a bit and added my own personal flair, I think you'll like it even better than the original.  I know I do!
I mean, really, doesn't that soup scream DELICIOUS!!!!????

All my measurements are a ballpark of what I use.  Usually I just eyeball it and use the whole item, i.e. whole onion, whole zucchini, whole cabbage, etc.  I don't like leaving 1/2 of anything in my fridge to spoil that much faster.  No matter how you cook this soup, it's going to taste fantastic!!!  Just remember to use as many low-sodium and salt-free canned foods as possible!  You really don't need all that added sodium!

{garden vegetable soup}
Modified from Weight Watchers

1 1/2 c. sliced carrot
1 c. diced onion
4-5garlic cloves, minced
5 c. low-sodium broth (my favorite in this one is beef, but if you must you can also use chicken or vegetable)
6 c. (or one whole head) diced green cabbage (I {HEART} Cabbage so the more the merrier)
1 14oz. can salt-free green beans
2 14oz. cans salt-free diced tomatoes, WITH juice
2 Tbsp. salt-free Tomato paste
1 1/2 tsp. salt-free Italian Seasoning
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1 c. diced zucchini
2 tsp. Olive Oil
Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese, if desired

Coat an extra large dutch oven with olive oil (of course you can use cooking spray, too but the olive oil lends such a delicious flavor and is good for you), heat.  Saute the carrot, onion, and garlic over low heat until softened, about 5 min.

Add broth, cabbage, beans, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, Italian seasoning, and salt; bring to a boil.  Reduce heat; simmer, covered, about 15 min or until beans are tender.  Stir in the zucchini and heat for 3-4 min.  Serve HOT. (with a sprinkle of freshly grated Parmesan cheese if desired.)

Serves 12.
Coming Next:
Sloppy Janes

2 comments:

  1. Oh that looks delish...and super healthy.
    PS...I love all your comments you left on my blog. You always make me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good love your blog. Everything looks so yummy
    Check out my food blog at http://thedailysmash101.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin