Saturday, April 17, 2010

TWD::Swedish Visiting Cake


Photobucket


For this week's Tuesdays With Dorie recipe Nancy of The Dogs Eat the Crumbs Chose to bake the Swedish Visiting Cake. I have to say, that it was a brilliant choice! I wasn't in the mood to bake this week...pants fitting a little too snug again (or still). So I was going to skip it. But when life hands you lemons, you turn to Dorie and her amazing recipes and this most delicious Swedish Visiting Cake. Which coincidently has lemon zest in it! So, please excuse my incredibly LATE posting. I just HAD to share this delicious recipe with you!

I thoroughly enjoyed making this one. I only used one bowl, one rubber spatula and a wisk..well, the random measuring cups and spoons, too but that is unavoidable. The fact that I made this with such little mess AND it was a breeze to whip up, makes it a BIG winner! Especially when you're really in the mood to do some serious emotional eating! Haa!

I had to bake it a little longer than the time listed, but probably because I don't have a cast iron skillet thus my pie pan wasn't as hot. Regardless, it turned out beautiful. Lightly golden, fool-proof and filled with all the flavors I LOVE! Almonds, Almond extract, vanilla extract, butter, sugar, lemon zest. Yes, everything that sends my mouth singing. Dorie suggests to eat it all the first day, but I found it still delightful on the second day. Though there really wasn't much left by then. I think next time I make this, I'm going to see if it will work in a 9x13 or jelly roll pan. It would definitely taste great made into bars for a luncheon or treats to take somewhere.

Since I know you're going to want to try this recipe, too. Either run don't walk, and get yourself a copy of Dorie's book, "Baking: From my Home to Yours" or you can check out Nancy's blog for a copy of the recipe. To see how other Tuesdays with Dorie Bakers fared, check out the TWD Blogroll.
Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. I love the way you photographed this cake - near and far; far and near - very creative. This cake is perfect comfort food for those emotionally needy times and it's almost too easy to put together. I weighed the ingredients, and next time I can skip the measuring cups, ha! Thanks for baking along with me this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha I loved your comment on my blog about getting old. Yes, it is stupid. Can't we just be young forever?!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin