I found this recipe a few years ago in one of my cooking magazines and it's been a famly favorite ever since. I've tried using my own cooked, shredded chicken instead of a rotisserie chicken and it doesn't taste nearly as good. I hope you enjoy all the yumminess as much as we do.Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
· 1 cup each chopped carrot, celery, green pepper and onion
· 1 cup chopped peeled parsnip (I often substitute cubed potato)
· 1 Tablepoon canola oil
· 4 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
· 1 Roaster Chicken, all meat removed and torn into bite-sized pieces
· 1 teaspoon dried marjoram (be sure to rub the spice between fingers or hand to release smell)
· 3 garlic cloves, minced
· 1/2 teaspoon salt
· 1/2 teaspoon pepper
· 3 cups cooked long grain and wild rice
In a large saucepan, saute carrot, celery, green pepper, onion and parsnip(Potato) in oil for 3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add the broth, marjoram, garlic, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil.
Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Add chicken and rice to soup; heat through.
Yield: about 8 cups.
Nutrition Facts: 1 cup equals 130 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 23 mg cholesterol, 890 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 9 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat.