Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Applesauce Cookies with Chocolate Chips & mixed Nuts

Photobucket
I've been wanting to make these for quite a while now and finally got around to it and I'm excited to share this amazing recipe with you, too!

These cookies are more of a cake-like texture because of the applesauce but when you throw in the chocolate chips and nuts, well, wahoo! This is one I can eat over and over again! Honestly, at first bite they're good, but not fabulous. If you let them cool, and remember to store in the fridge, then they turn into WOWZA!

I know it sounds crazy, but that cooling time in the fridge makes the chocolate chips harden so you not only have the soft gooey cake-like cookie but also the crunch of the nuts and the chocolate chips! Mmmmm!! Usually, I only put chopped pecans in, but this time, I put chopped almonds in, too. Both nuts have fantastic flavors so combining them just made this recipe that much better! The only thing that would make this even better, make them into little mini cupcakes and add some cream cheese frosting!!! Oh la la! I may just have to try that next time, that is unless YOU beat me to it! If you do, you MUST share!
Photobucket
APPLESAUCE COOKIES W/ CHOCOLATE CHIPS & NUTS

2 c. Sugar
1 c. unsalted butter, softened
2 eggs, beaten
2 c. applesauce, natural
1 tsp. cloves
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. cinnamon
4 c. flour (sometimes I splurge and use 1/2 whole wheat 1/2 white)
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. soda, dissolved in small amount of hot water
2 c. chopped nuts (pecans, almonds, walnuts - OPTIONAL)
2 c. chocolate chips (I prefer milk, but if you like richer chocolate flavors you may opt for semi-sweet)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In large bowl, cream shortening & sugar. In separate bowl combine dry ingredients, minus nuts and chips. Add beaten eggs. Dissolve baking soda in small amount of hot water. Add applesauce. Add baking soda alternately with dry ingredients. Fold in the chocolate chips & nuts. Drop tablespoonfuls onto greased cookiesheet (I used parchment paper). Bake 10-12 minutes or until centers of cookie spring back like a cake would.

Makes 3 doz.
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin