Saturday, October 29, 2011

Trick or Treat? Bloody Intestines

(Little G here.)  Trick or Treat ....give me something SCARY to EAT!!!
I really enjoy Halloween, especially the fun you can have with food during this creepy time of year. I was given the challenge of creating a Spooky Dish to share at an adults only Halloween party. I scoured my resources and I kept finding cute items that sounded yummy and looked yummy. I wanted something that was going to fulfill the Spooky requirement. Brew ha ha! I found the winner on a favorite website Camp Chef. This idea was pure evil genius and just might win me a prize.
 The base for the recipe calls for cherry pie filling, ghoulishly perfect blood. Create a bread stick dough colored pink and cut into 1 inch strips. Pinch the ends of the dough strips then twist to make your intestines.

 Butter and top with sugar and cinnamon for the stomach turning Bloody Intestine dish. I reserved some cherry filling to pour over the top after baking to give a truly bloody look. Wah ha ha!
 Looks like something right out of Fear Factor....who will eat the Bloody Intestines? Some brave souls took a chance on tasting our creepy creation!
I was thrilled it looked even scarier baked! We won for "Grossest Looking Spooky Dish"!
Try this scary dish, IF YOU DARE at your Halloween Party!

Intestine Breadsticks
2 c. hot tap water
1 T yeast
2 T sugar
Red or pink food coloring
1 T salt
4-5 c. flour
canned cherry pie filling
2-3 T. melted butter
cinnamon and sugar mixture (I do a 1 to 6 ratio)

Pour water into a bowl or mixer. Sprinkle yeast over the top and then sugar on top of the yeast. Let work about 5 minutes. When bubbly, add food coloring to desired color. Add 1 cup of flour and mix. Add salt and then enough flour to make a soft dough. Let rise.
When risen, grease a 9×13 baking dish and spoon in cherry pie filling.
Halve the dough and roll out dough into a rectangle. Cut into inch wide strips. Take each strip and pinch ends together. Twist and place randomly over the pie filling. Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar. Bake in oven at 400 for 15-20 minutes or until the middle is set.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, Lisa, this looks absolutely yummy and awful at the same time. What a fun idea for Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously gross!!! I need to remember this for next year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anyone low how long to let rise?

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin