Saturday, September 19, 2009

Perfect Apple Crisp

Photobucket
Recently, we moved into a new home and with this move, we were lucky enough to inherrit a couple of fruit trees.  One apple and one plum.  The bad news is that we don't understand enough about fruit tree maintenance just yet, so we only resuced ONE plum oNe, but that plum was the best I've ever eaten (the rest were either devoured by birds or fell off with a big windstorm onto our roof then into the gutter...dumb, I know!)!  With our apple tree, we just let it do its thing...grow apples.  Well, these apples LOOK like they're probably golden delicious, but they taste so much better! 

This apple tree has produced SO many apples and they're not ity bity small ones either.  They're pretty BIG, baseball-sized apples and so crispy and good!  Well, minus the WoRmS!  Yup, we didn't spray it, so probably 50% of the apples have worms.  Arugh!  *No worms made it into this apple crisp.*  So, with our new apple tree that we completely {HEART}, we've resigned to make sure we spray and do everything necessary to ensure we get that percentage of worms DOWN next year! 

In any case, I've been making a lot of recipes that include APPLES lately.  One of my All-time favorites is my apple crisp.  I have no idea where I got this recipe, but I've used it for YEARS and years and every time I make it for someone, I get oodles and oodles of praises and requests for this recipe. It's sweet, cinnamony and nutty and above all DELICIOUS! 
Photobucket

Apple Crisp
from the kitchen of Lisa Jensen, Gourmified

Apple mixture:
8c. Apples (any kind), GRATED
2 Tbsp. flour
1c. sugar
2 tsp. cinnamon

Topping:
1 1/2 c. brown sugar
1 1/2 c. flour
1 c. old fashioned oats
1/2 tsp. soda
1 tsp. salt
1c. salted, melted butter
1/2 c. chopped pecans, optional

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a Large bowl, combine apple mixture ingredients.  Mix well & put into greased 9x13 pan.  Combine topping ingredients and mix well.  Sprinkle evenly over apples.

Bake for 30 minutes or until golden and sides are bubbly.

Serve warm with whipping cream or vanilla ice cream.

6 comments:

  1. I love apple crisp! I followed you from the foodieblogroll I love what you have here. I'd love to bring over our readers to your site if you wont mind, just add this little foodista widget to this post and it's all set to go, Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum. I could sure go for a bowl of this right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow- it looks like an awesome apple crisp. I love that the apples are grated and the topping has nuts!! delicious :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. A tasty fall favorite! Old fashioned oats are definitely the way to go, they add texture and yummy flavor. Delicious! I can see why this recipe has many fans :).

    ReplyDelete
  5. grated? I will have to try it...yum.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do I peel the apples first?
    -Kira

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin